I am so excited to share a delicious granola recipe with you that I just tried last night. It is yummy with yogurt,
milk, or by itself! I got this from Whole Living Magazine.
6 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 c. nuts, such as almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc. coarsely chopped
1/4 c. seeds, such as sunflower, pepitas, etc.
1/3c. flax seed meal, wheat germ, or a mixture of the two
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 large egg whites
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 c. sweetener, such as honey, agave syrup or molasses
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 c. dried fruit, such as sour cherries, cranberries, currants, raisins,
apricots, figs, or pineapple, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the oats, nuts, seeds, flax and/or wheat germ and cinnamon in a large
bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and the salt until frothy. Whisk in
the sweetener and the olive oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and
stir until the oats are evenly coated.
3. Transfer mixture to two rimmed baking sheets and spread flat.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip with a spatula, moving granola from the outer edges to the center of the sheet. Continue to cook until golder, about 10 minutes more. (If the granola starts to brown too much at the edges, gently stir those parts into the middle.)
5. Cool completely on pan, then transfer to a bowl and gently stir in the dried fruit.
Try various combinations and see what you think!